Take a different kind adventure related to food with FCAW! You can either build your own carbon steel table or a solid metal cabinet where you can store your hidden snacks! Now you can eat more often with a table that won’t be difficult to clean and a cabinet that’s heavy-duty!
Here are the reasons why you need to apply this welding technique:
Advantages of FCAW
- You won’t have to stop to change rods (unlike in shielded metal arc welding or SMAW). This also means you’ll even get longer beads with fewer restarts, more production, and high weld deposit. You could also avoid any defect caused by restarting.
- It can be used with/without shielding gas. Carbon dioxide is affordable if in case you decide to use shielding gas. You could also use 75/25. The flux, which contains oxidizers, lessen the time needed for you to clean the metal before making a weld. Plus, post-weld cleanup would be a piece of cake when you used this method because the slag chips off so quickly.
- The wire stick-out with FCAW is also longer (around an inch) than with gas metal arc welding or GMAW. This allows you to see and control the puddle better.
- The flux produces the shielding gas, which means it doesn’t encounter welding problems that could happen when MIG welding outside where a strong wind could blow the shielding gas away. This means with FCAW; you can weld outside!
- The flux in the electrode enables the welding process to be more forgiving of the base metal when it’s a bit dirty, rusty or contaminated.
Before applying this technique and using your Forney Easy Weld 299to build your own table, make sure you do the following:
- Cover your eyes with safety glasses to shield them from the hazardous light. You should know that the electricity needed for arc welding is not only very hot but also creates dangerous UV light which can damage your eyes when you directly look at it. Better yet, wear a welding mask to protect your entire face!
- Wear welding gloves to keep your hands protected from sparks.
- Wear a leather welding jacket, a pair of long pants, and a pair of close-toed shoes. FCAW is widely known to generate lots of sparks which can burn unprotected areas of your body in an instant. You’ll need to cover up!
- Keep flammable materials away to prevent sparks from starting a fire.
- Ensure that a first-aid kit is easily accessible in case of mishaps.